Archive of 15 photographs documenting the moving of Heinz House

N.p. N.p., 1954. Archive of 15 photographs documenting the deconstruction, transportation, and reconstruction of the Heinz House during 1952-1954, after it was purchased by the Henry Ford Museum and added to museum's Greenfield Village. Twelve of the photographs with the stamp of the Henry Ford Museum on the verso, the remaining three with the stamp of the Heinz Company. Additionally, ten photographs with either manuscript or printed captions on the verso detailing the image.

Henry J. Heinz founded what would eventually grow into the world's fifth largest food company in 1869 in the basement of his childhood home in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania. That house would first be moved from its original location to Pittsburgh in 1904, and a single photograph in the archive shows it in the process of being assembled in its new location.

Opened to the public in 1933, the Henry Ford Museum's Greenfield Village serves as a living museum with historical buildings moved there from all over the United States in an effort to preserve and educate how Americans lived and worked since the founding of the country. The Heinz House was added to the village officially in 1954 after a two year transportation and restoration process, joining such significant buildings as the Wright brothers' bicycle shop, the courthouse where Abraham Lincoln first practiced law, and Ford's own childhood home and workshop where he built his first vehicle, the Ford Quadricycle.

10 x 8.25 inches. Three photographs with manuscript marker circles on the verso highlighting bit of restoration work, else generally about Near Fine.

[Book #143178]